15 November 2012

My Bread Diaries Homework


INTRODUCTION

Hello reader,

For just under a week now I have been completing  something called "The Bread Diaries". This is a homework project which I was given by my school tied in with our science and our topic work. Our science was micro-organisms and our topic was world war II. The idea of this project was to keep some slightly damp bread in seal-able (and disposable) containers which were transparent and keep them in 7 different locations in our house and garage/shed. We would keep a diary for a little while describing what the bread looked like in the different areas.  This diary could be in any form we liked from photos to power-points. I chose to do a spreadsheet which can be found below. The seven areas we had to put our bread in were: fridge , freezer, a warm,damp place (bathroom), a cold damp place ( garage ), a warm dry place (next to boiler), a cooler dry place (Mum and Dads bedroom)and a dark cupboard (in hallway drawer).I hope you enjoy my science experiment and be inspired by the excitement of it!!! :)


If this spreadsheet does not work properly please click here.

CONCLUSION


My conclusion is that the bread in the cold places have been preserved more than the ones in the warm areas. The one that has been preserved the most is the one in the freezer and the one that has been preserved the least is the one in Mum and Dads room. I think the reason for this is the temperature. In the freezer it is doing exactly that. Freezing it. By "freezing" this  can mean both making something cold but also stopping something. The "freezer" stops bacteria and un-friendy micro-organisms from growing in the bread. Whereas in the warm areas there is no way of "freezing" the bread. This is illustrated in the picture below, where I have arranged the bread roughly in order of temperature which matches the order of the mouldiness. This project has been very fun and exiting to do and I have learned quite a bit. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.