26 June 2015

10 Question Interview With a Self-Employed Handcrafter

Today I will be sharing with you an interview with Michelle, the creator of Hearfelty (a self-run sewing business) and Heartfelt Illustrations (a self-run illustrating business). Michelle is a self-employed felt craft artist and illustrator based in Staffordshire. If you're thinking about starting your own handcrafting business or you are looking for a handcrafter to buy personal gifts from, then this post is for you. Let's get onto the interview...

1. Where do you find inspiration for your designs?
I find inspiration in the natural world by using shapes, textures and colours of plants and flowers. I love watching the seasons change.

2. How do you advertise your products?
I find that the best ways of advertising are to use social media websites such as pinterest, g+, facebook and twitter which I update regularly with my new creations and updates.

3. What is the best part about your job?
The best part of my job is having creative freedom, being able to work from plans and designs of my own making.

4. What is the worst part of your job?
The worst part is not having a consistent and predictable income, not always knowing how much I will make one week to the next. That's the hardest part.

5. What have you learnt as a handcrafter?
I've learnt to be patient and not to rush even if I have a short deadline because mistakes are easily made but not easily rectified (for example, I once made a personalised order and completed the whole creation with one letter missing and I had to start over)

6. What is your bestselling product?
It depends on the time of the year. The best selling products are often the ones connected with a special occasion. 

7. How do you decide on a price?
Pricing can be tricky. First you need to find out how much the product costs you to make  (including the time it takes you to make) then you need to consider what a fair price would be for the customer, leaving room for a decent profit.

8. What gets you in a crafting mood?
Getting a new idea for something I've heard or seen. For example, song lyrics seem to inspire creation.

9. Why did you choose to be a handcrafter?
I sort of drifted into it form having creative hobbies for instance, cross stitching. Once my career path changed, I found I had more time to develop my hobby into a business.

10. Who is your target audience?
People who appreciate handmade goods, a special dedication goes into handmade items that you just can't find in ordinary shops. My customers appreciate that personal touch. 

Michelle says...
I sell my work online through social networks and websites. I also have my work in gift shops of pottery museums and a high street shop. I occasionally sell on my stall at local events and I have previously ran my own craft fair events. I additionally run workshops for adults who want to learn how to sew their own items.

Here are some of Michelle's links you may want to check out:

In the next few months, one of heartfelty's items will be featured in a GIVEAWAY on my blog! So keep reading my blog to find out what else I'm giving away! I hope you have enjoyed today's post, it was a little different but I thought it was interesting post! Enjoy looking at heartfelty/heartfelt illustration's items! Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog! Could you please follow and comment on mine? I left the link below...
    http://rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! You were also featured on Cathy's blog weren't you? I'll go take a look at some of your blog now! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan! I was wondering how you added your a little bit about me page, and how you added your follow me by email? I would like to add these to my blog. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sorry that I replied a bit late, I didn't realise that I had a comment! To add an About Me page or any type of page you go to the editing page for your blog (like you normally would to start writing a post, check comments, change the layout, etc) then click on the pages button listed on the left, then once it has loaded click on the new page button at the top of the page. To add the follow by email gadget you click on the layout button on the left hand side of the screen, then click on one of the spaces where it says add a gadget, scroll down to find the follow by email gadget (or any other gadget you would like to use) and add it! I only recently added this feature recently, it's useful for when you don't have a schedule. :) I hope I helped-you're welcome!

      Delete

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.