18 July 2015

Fortune Cookie Book Review


A little while ago I held a poll where you could choose what post you would like to see on my blog and the result was a book review! So today I'll be reviewing the book Fortune Cookie by Cathy Cassidy, a relatively new book in the Chocolate Box series (it's the last in the series). Hopefully, you'll decide to buy this book for yourself (if you haven't already) or agree with what I say (if you have read it already).


When you first see the title of this book, you are cleverly fooled into thinking it is another book about Cherry (or perhaps her mother) because of the Japanese link (fortune cookies are from Japan and China) however it is actually about Jake Cooke, a new character who was briefly introduced at the end of Sweet Honey-the previous book. Honey has discovered that she has a half brother (Jake) and immediately tries to get in touch with him which slowly but surely succeeds! At first Jake (known as Cookie) mistakes Honey Tanberry's letters as tricks to get his family's money, not that they are exactly rich, living in a flat above a restaurant in Chinatown. However, as more and more proof is sent amongst Honey's persuading words, Cookie's doubt begins to fade away. Jake's home life is tight enough so it's the last straw for Jake when another crisis happens in their little flat, it's at this tense moment that Jake turns to his half-sister Honey for help, he has a trick up his sleeve to save his Mum and siblings from certain doom.

I think that Fortune Cookie is a great way to complete the chocolate box series and answers some long awaited problems. I feel satisfied at the end of the series when all of the Tanberry-Costello sisters have a better outlook on life and have all of their hopes and dreams (no pun intended :) in front of them. Jake thought that his newly found half-sisters were going to help him but it seems like he helped them even more. Although I think the character development of Jake Cooke was brilliant, the arrival of this new character just made me more interested in what was happening in the sisters lives, in a good way. The story was definitely focused on Cherry and Honey (as well as Jake of course) which was great because they are 2 of my favourite sisters but I think it would have been even better if we saw more of the other 3 sisters (Skye, Summer and Coco) to resolve their problems and see what was happening in their lives as well as reading about the main event of the book. Overall I loved this book and would give it 8 stars out of 10. Cathy Cassidy did a fantastic job of finishing up the series and I was practically glued to this book for about a week. I'll really miss Tanglewood but I guess I'll just read the Chocolate Box Secrets! The only reason it is 8 stars out of ten is rather than 10, is because I prefer Cherry Crush and Marshmallow Skye slightly more than this final book. I would highly recommend this book as a Summer read for the school holidays as it is extremely gripping!

I hope you all enjoyed reading this book review of Fortune Cookie form one of my favourite authors Cathy Cassidy! Tell me what you think in the comments, I would love to hear your own verdict of the final book in the fantastic series set in Somerset.

4 comments:

  1. This book review is brilliant! I've been absolutely dyying to read Fortune Cookie! I love how you've given a brief synopsis and your opinion on the book - it makes me want to read it even more! It's also set in Chinatown, so that'd make it an intriguing read. :3 I'll tell you what I think of it after I read it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! I'm thrilled that you like the way that I organised the review! I really recommend this book! Yes, it was interesting to read about Chinatown, I love walking down chinatown (or the other variations across the country), it's like stepping into another world! Please do, if you have time! :)

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! Cool! Wow, you've been there? Awesome! I'd love to visit it one day. Haha, Chinatown sounds brilliant! XD

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have been there once (I think it WAS the one in London now that I think about it). :D It is so beautiful! You can see the chefs making traditional food through the windows too, it's so interesting to watch! Yep! :)

      Delete

Any ideas, feedback or praise? Select 'notify me' so you know when you get a reply from me or someone else.